Sunday, July 22, 2012

Ramadan : The Holy Month

Salaam !
Ramadan of this year just started alhamdulilah ! For this occasion I wish you all a Ramadan Mubarak to you and your loved ones , may Allah bless you with happiness , faith and health , Ameen !


In each Ramadan , we do our best to perfom well islamically , between salah , fasting reading quran , volunteering and so on of good deeds .
This Ramadan my perspective is not to sleep too much , and not over eat !
Now for sleep , you must be saying ; "that's no big deal ! you can have rest in Ramadan !" , well no , not exactly . Over the past few years , I used to sleep without counting , and it wouldn't matter for me if I woke up at whatever time . However , I'd feel dizy the whole day , and wouldn't be productive at any task !
It is therefore that I decided that this year inshAllah I'd follow a certain programme . At night we get back from taraweeh at around 10.30pm and with dinner and family socializing, we would finish till 11.20pm . I now go to sleep at 11.40pm max . I wake up for Suhur at 3.00pm-ish , go back to sleep at 4am , and the morning force myself not to sleep over than 10am .
If it might seem very little , then let me tell you that in fact it is not ! With this sleeping routine , on the morning , I feel I had enough sleep , I'm much more focused while performing during the day , and alhamdulilah it feels good .


Now , for food . I'm a food lover . I can't deprive myself from food , that's why it's hard for me to diet . If you know me , you will kill me after reading this post , simply because I do not need any diet and I'm thin :D but I never said I wanted to lose weight , did I ?
Honestly , I just want to be fit and eat  healthy , which I've been doing since I got into university alhamdulilah.
But with Ramdan , it's another story . We all wait so passionaly for the iftar time . During the day Everybody is cooking , yes litterally everybody. Either at homes , or out , the smell of food is everywhere during Ramadan .
And me , whos is a fan of cooking , during this holy month , I always look for new recipes , adn each day make something special .
One incovenient about us ( in my country) ; the iftar table is FULL . I'm serious ! it's like you cant see any empty area on the table ! and just after the muazzin call for maghrib prayer , we start !
Trust me , it's near impossible to eat just what you need , after seeing such a full table with tempting dishes . And right after the iftar , you start feeling like your stomach is packed .
This year , I stood for myself and said Stop !
All the food i usually take makes me feel kind of sick later , and while orayign taraweeh , I can't concentrate and all I think about is laying down .
This is why , I made a programme . I decided I'd have exactly 6 or 7 things to eat maximum , and that I would eat to fulfill my hunger then stop . I tried this yesterday -as it beign first day of Ramadan , therefore first iftar- and I was simply delighted . I felt light and full , and during taraweeh , I was more able to enjoy the spirituality and focus in salah ! 
I started my iftar with a glass of water and some dates , then I had a bit of soup ( I wasn't able to complete it ) with a raghifa , then I had jus and a small pizza and briwat , then finally a slice of fruit tart . What helped me during having my iftar was eating slowly , and taking several breaks while eating .


My light iftar also made me able to have dinner , since mom made a delicious tajine ! 


Alhamdulilah I'm very satisfied with those decisions and inshAllah I'll be able to keep them during the whole month ! 
Until my next post , I wish you a happy iftar ! 

                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment